I have a confession to make. I am obsessed with puddings. Seriously obsessed. I make them all the time, experiment with all sorts of combinations, I even come up with different recipes in my sleep! Yeah I know I’m special, but I really love my pudding! Inspired by all my experimenting for pumpkin pies, I whipped up this simple and yummy creation. It’s good! Creamy, rich, thick, full of flavour, sweet and spicy and really good. My kids loved it. Right after I took the pics they gobbled them all up!
So this recipe calls for simple ingredients, obviously some pumpkin, it’s sweetened with a very ripe banana, thickened with soaked cashews and packed with fibre through the chia seeds. This serves four as a snack but you can easily eat the entire thing! With some added protein, it can also make a pretty great breakfast!
Since the highlight of the recipe is pumpkin I want to chat a bit about its health benefits. Pumpkin, similar to other winter squash is packed with carotenoids which give the squash its beautiful orange colour. Pumpkin is therefore an excellent source of immune-supportive vitamin A and free radical-scavenging vitamin C. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, manganese and copper as well as a good source of potassium, vitamin B2, folate, vitamin K, pantothenic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium and niacin. Pumpkin and other winter squash are packed with antioxidants thanks to the carotenoids, vitamin C, manganese as well as as the polysaccharides found in pumpkin. Pumpkin is also found to have anti-inflammatory benefits, blood sugar balancing properties and heart health benefits. Seriously amazing to know that all of these benefits can be enjoyed in a pudding you can whip up in minutes!
Give this a try and let me know how you like it!
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 very ripe medium banana
- ½ cup of filtered water
- ⅓ cup soaked cashews (see notes)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom (optional - I like cardamom in everything!)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Place all ingredients outside of the chia seeds in a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add chia seeds and pulse 2-3 times until just combined.
- Place into airtight containers and allow to thicken overnight or a minimum of 2 hours.
- Can serve with granola, shredded almonds or any nut of your choice or enjoy just as they are with a sprinkling of additional cinnamon.